My manic side debuted after months of hibernation. I slept well last night (1/2 tablet of Trazodone), dreaming and retaining tens of stories, none dealing with bulimia. I specifically remember a dream where your younger hippy American brother was coming to visit, so we placed him in the guest house which was filled with roaches and dust. You spent hours cleaning while I read my book in bed. When I woke, the dream clouded my thoughts, the duress of my cleanliness infringing on my concentration. So how did I ameliorate the situation? I cleaned today ... maniacally.
You've frequently asked if we needed to hire a maid for our apartments/houses. We've never been responsible for more than four rooms since we've lived together, and every time the topic surfaces, I erupt like a volcano. I've never explained why. When I was seven or eight, I have one of the first memories of my mom telling me she loved me. It was Saturday morning, she and my dad were out for some reason, and while they were gone I vacuumed the upstairs, dusted the entire house, and cleaned the bathroom I shared with my brother. My mom walked in as I was rowing the vacuum backwards and forwards in the guest bedroom, the sucking sound so loud I didn't hear her come in. When I saw her silhouette in the threshold, I turned the cleaner off. It was rare for my mom to come upstairs unless she was waking us up, yelling at my brother, or putting up Christmas decorations. The expression on her face glowed like she had just walked in on her surprise birthday party. And then the words, "I love you" followed, a smile on her face zapping warmth directly into my heart. I was immobilized with shock. I vouched from that moment on to continue to clean every Saturday to please her, to have her love me because of how clean I could be. I never heard her praise me for cleaning again, but she didn't have to. The affect was sealed. I finally found something I did worth loving.
In the past five years I've rarely picked up a sponge, buffering resentment to have to clean every time we've moved. Why should I clean if I won't get approval? I'm seeking something I should have hurdled years ago, but I haven't shut off the sound of the vacuum inside. And you ask if we need a maid? That was one of the only things I could do for love, and I've failed miserably.
I cleaned for hours today, scrubbing the eyes of the stove, bleaching the bathtub, scouring the pots and pans caked with residue. It reminded me of my Saturday mornings and how content I was to clean our house. My room was spotless, my organization spilling into manic mode, my relentless energy fueled to eradicate the scum in our bathroom overly obsessive. But I was happy because it made my mother aware of me. I was present, even in the reflection of the gleaming white tiles.
No comments:
Post a Comment