Monday, August 11, 2008

August 17, 2001

Journal entry: 19 years old

I'm on the road to recovery.  I have almost conquered an entire day without bingeing, and I haven't intentionally denied myself of food.  I have honestly wanted to complete other tasks.  I started taking Adderall and Celexa yesterday, and the change is drastic.  I rarely think of food.  I still feel guilty for eating - maybe even more so- but I'm more conscious of what I'm putting into my body, and even more importantly is that I know that I should eat.  My hip bones are sticking out more than usual, but I still see a large-boned, thick girl in the mirror.  I'm scared that if I start to lose weight, the doctor will take me off the Adderall.  That drug is a miracle.  Honestly, everything looks brighter, and my sense of perspective has finally broadened.  I don't just stare into my plate of food.

Also, my mom and I had a very serious talk.  I told her I supported her and loved her, but she made me feel like the guilty runner-up in the competition.  I told her about the weight loss comments.  We decided to make up a system where I write a note to her and leave it under her pillow if she says anything derogatory.  And she did tell my dad about my eating disorder.  It's cool, though.  Silent but sweet.  I went outside yesterday to talk to my mom around dinnertime, and not once did I think about food.  Not once was I afraid to walk into the kitchen.  This is an unbelievable feeling that I have longed for for three years.

No comments: